Wednesday, June 16, 2010



I was psyched going into this Delta tournament because Folkestad and I had a good prefish prior to the cut off. Come Day 1 of the Tournament, the patterns and fishing in general had certainly changed.

Day 1, I drew an old time Pro, Gerald Loughran.  The morning started off very windy. Gerry was on a reaction bite which was a buzz bait. When we got to his first stop, the wind was howling and we fished tight up against the rip rap. I followed behind his buzz bait, casting a crank bait. We fished that combination for the first 2 hours and I got 2 bumps on the crank bait and Gerry received 1 blowup on the buzz bait. Gerry changed tactics and went from the rip rap to the tulle islands where we concentrated on the leeward side. Fishing was relatively calm and I was able to throw the Rev Rig and drop shot. I caught 8 keepers for the day and managed to cull (and tried not to laugh) to 6 lbs. 13 oz. It looked like a Lake Mead 5 fish limit. Gerry’s 5 fish limit came to 8lbs. and change.

Day 2 – I drew Sean Stafford. I have drawn Sean before and I knew I was going to have my work cut out for me. We took a 40 minute run to his first stop – Sean throwing reaction top water – but, going slow enough where I was able to throw the Rev Rig, swim bait,  and crank bait. We fished hard for 2 hours, but to no avail.  We moved to his second location and Sean slowed down and we picked the area apart and, again to no avail.  We went to area number three, where Sean managed to get 1 keeper in the boat. It was almost 1:00 and the frustration was starting to take its toll. Sean decided to take a long run down south, which paid off. I was able to put 2 keepers in the boat on a swim bait and Sean managed 3 keepers to bring his total up to 4 keepers for the day. I came to the scales with 2 fish -  which weighed 3 lbs. 1 oz. A very disappointing day.

Day 3 – I drew a local, Ed Schneider, Jr. Ed was on some fish, but the wind was blowing so hard the back end of the boat was in the tulles for most of the day. It was so hard trying to fish with tulles slapping me in my face! I did manage to put 1 fish in the boat at the first stop and Ed managed 3 keepers. We ran Ed’s milk run, which consisted of several spots and at each location, the wind was a nightmare. Ed managed to put a limit in the boat and even do some culling by the end of the day. Again, I only managed to put 2 fish in the boat and I went to the scales with only 2 fish, which weighed in at 4 lbs. 5 oz.

I ended up in 63rd place and I’m not a happy camper. The bait that was working for me was the Rev Rig on Day 1 and drop shot with 6” Robo MM III.
Day 2 both my keepers were caught on a real California swim bait. Day 3 both my keepers were caught flippin’ a Canyon Plastics tube in Watermelon Red.

My Pros caught their fish on drop shot,  Senkos, Canyon Plastics Toro Tube in Green Pumpkin, flippin’ Sweet Beaver, and on crank baits.

Fish on,

1 comment:

Coloradocasters said...

Just came across your blog and appreciate the information provided. Thanks again.